This Simple Strawberry Rhubarb Compote celebrates the finest of spring produce! Down here in the South, Rhubarb is piled high at farmer’s market just begging to be made into something delicious. I feel as though Rhubarb is an under appreciated vegetable. Sure you can toss it in a pie or pickle it, but what else? Rhubarb is sweet and tart and very versatile with not only sweet fruits and desserts, but it pairs nicely with savory dishes as well.
We were up in the North Carolina Mountains last weekend and they have the best roadside farm stands that I’ve ever been too. Whenever we plan to go that way, we stop a few of my favorites that always have amazing strawberries – seriously the best strawberries I’ve eaten. We can’t stop eating them. We will eat half of them on the way home.
I can’t help myself when I go to a farmers market – I’m the worst. I go in for one thing and come out with a car full of produce and a hanging plant. It’s so exciting and inspiring! That’s how I felt when I saw the Rhubarb, while holding my basket full of sweet strawberries. This Simple Strawberry Rhubarb Compote was going to be just the burst of spring I was craving.
Compote is such an ugly word for something so freakin’ delicious. It’s is not thick and overly sweet like a jam or jelly, it honestly uses very little sugar at all. It really allows the natural sweetness of the fruit to come out. It’s a little chunky and a little saucy. It’s a little tart and a little sweet. The flavors are so intense that it makes my taste buds zing!
I love to pair it with warm biscuits and a slice of rosemary ham or smoked turkey for that perfect sweet, tart, salty, savory, buttery bite. This would be a lovely way to start out a brunch or an addition to a baby or bridal shower menu. Spoon this Simple Strawberry Rhubarb Compote on top of a slice of angel food cake or pound cake. Dollop a little whipped cream on it and you’ve got a decadent and delicious dessert. Or eat it right out of the jar, it’s just lovely.
Other Recipes you may enjoy:
- 2 cups Strawberries, washed, hulled, and halved
- 2 cups Rhubarb, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar or Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- In a medium sauce pan, combine rhubarb, strawberries, and brown sugar. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes. Cook mixture over medium high heat for 15 minutes, until bubbly and the rhubarb has softened. Cool and enjoy!
- This can be frozen or it will keep in the fridge for several days. Serve on biscuits, with chicken or pork, or as a dessert topping on cake or ice cream.
Simple Strawberry Rhubarb Compote | No Need to Measure Recipe
- 2 cups Rhubarb
- 2 cups Strawberries
- 1/4 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend or Brown Sugar
- Cook rhubarb, strawberries and brown sugar over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool and serve as you like!